[whatwg] link-types

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 16 17:42:47 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Therefore, assuming HTML5 doesn't deprecate non-stylesheet/icon rel=s
> altogether, I think it should define a way of determining which rel=s
> are intended for human consumption and which aren't (probably a
> whitelist, plus any <link> with a title= attribute, minus a blacklist).
> Then it should say something like the following:
>
> "As with <a> elements, when <link> elements that use these relationships
> are present, UAs should render them. As with <a> elements, when <link>
> elements that use these relationships do not exist, UAs should not
> render them. UAs should not make <link> rendering any easier to hide
> than <a> rendering."

The problem is that such a conformance criteria would just be ignored.
I've heard several developers tell me that they have yet to come up with
an interface for these link elements that they consider to be acceptable
(notwithstanding your own proposals on the matter). We cannot require that
UAs support a feature that the implementors themselves feel cannot, given
the current state of the art, be adequately implemented.