[whatwg] [html5] thoughts

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Tue Nov 9 22:40:48 PST 2004

On Nov 10, 2004, at 03:34, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> I agree with Henri, this is an authoring problem, not a styling a
>> problem.
>
> But Henri agreed with me, saying that using markup for this was a bad
> idea.

What I agreed to was that using markup for smartening ASCII quotes was
a bad idea. I wouldn't mind using spans for the special case of
floating the quotation marks.

How would you define CSS pseudo-elements for open and close quotes in
such a way that they would be implementable and would not match
apostrophes and would correctly differentiate between open and close
quotes in languages that use the same character for opening and closing
and in languages that invert the direction of guillemets compared to
French?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi