[whatwg] RE: Degrading of web applications

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 00:11:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:30:44 +0930, Chris Were <chris.were at gmail.com> wrote:
> A particular web application that is designed entirely
> around the functionality provided by XMLHR would have no requirement
> to degrade nicely. Any degradation and it becomes useless as all its
> functionality and content is provided through javascript.

That's just ridiculous, if any application has a requirement to
degrade nicely, then just saying "this application uses javascript so
doesn't have to" isn't something I can agree with I'm afraid.  web
applications provide functionality the implementation details are
irrelevant to the importance of degradability.

I think this sort of attitude highlights why the WHAT-WG isn't
particularly correct when it says degradibility is an absolute
requirement, if people are happy to say "bog off browser not
supported" then we might aswell go straight to good solutions and not
harp on trying to tweak to text/html until it's even more of a mess.

Jim.