[whatwg] RE: Degrading of web applications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Sep 11 03:15:34 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:30:44 +0930, Chris Were <chris.were at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A particular web application that is designed entirely
> > around the functionality provided by XMLHR would have no requirement
> > to degrade nicely. Any degradation and it becomes useless as all its
> > functionality and content is provided through javascript.
>
> That's just ridiculous, if any application has a requirement to
> degrade nicely, then just saying "this application uses javascript so
> doesn't have to" isn't something I can agree with I'm afraid.

It's worth noting that the person you are disagreeing with is representing
the opinion of a Web application provider. If application providers
consider that compatibility with non-JS browsers (and browsers with JS
disabled) is not critical, then that is an important datapoint.

> I think this sort of attitude highlights why the WHAT-WG isn't
> particularly correct when it says degradibility is an absolute
> requirement, if people are happy to say "bog off browser not supported"
> then we might aswell go straight to good solutions and not harp on
> trying to tweak to text/html until it's even more of a mess.

I haven't yet seen anyone say that compatibility with IE6 isn't important,
and that has always been the most important factor here. There's a huge
leap of logic from "compatibility with the minority of browsers that don't
support JS is not important" to "compatibility with the most deployed user
agent is not importnat".