[whatwg] <h1> to <h6> in <body>

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 07:11:05 PDT 2005

    Okay, here's my two cents on the heading/section issue...

    The element <h1> can be used in HTML4 multiple times. Therefore, it
is not by default the title of a document. The most natural thing to
assume is that <title> is the title of the document, regardless of how
people might abuse it. At best, you could say that when there is only
one <h1> element, it might be the title. Even that is not a certainty.

    There are already <meta> values for much of the stuff that people
abusively put in the <title> element. For example, "author" metadata is
pretty much a standard already:

    Therefore, why not just standardize it and deprecate the use of such
values in <title> while giving <title> more specific semantics?
Something like this:

    The <link> element can be used for the stuff that requires a URL or
hyperlink of some kind.

    As for sections, in my opinion there are two types of sections. The
first is what we have now, an implied section system that is difficult
to define but essentially goes from the beginning of one heading to the
beginning of the next. The second type of section is one defined by
markup such as <section>. This type should be the only type that can be
styled and affect rendering.

    Generally, implied sections should begin at the beginning of a <h#>
element and end at either the end of the document or at the beginning of
another <h#> element. Allowing exceptions makes describing implied
sections much more complicated. If developers need flexibility with
regard to this, we can use language that says developers *should* start
and end sections in such a manner rather than *must*.

    Importance (given by the number of the <h#> element) determines
styling, and it implies structure, but the level of importance should
not create missing sections within the document outline. If the
importance level of a heading implies a missing parent section, the
outline tree should first be constructed as if the implied nodes
existed, then the children of missing sections should be collapsed into
the position of their parents.

    That said, this is how I would process the sample markup:

      <h1>A</h1>               1        A (importance level 1)
      <h2>B</h2>               1.1      B (importance level 2)
      <h3>C</h3>               1.1.1    C (importance level 3)
      <h2>D</h2>               1.2      D (importance level 2)
      <h3>E</h3>               1.2.1    E (importance level 3)
      <ol>                              E
       <li>                             E
        <h3>F</h3>             1.2.2    F (importance level 3)
       </li>                            F
       <li>                             F
        <h3>G</h3>             1.2.3    G (importance level 3)
       </li>                            G
       <li>                             G
        <h3>H</h3>             1.2.4    H (importance level 3)
       </li>                            H
      </ol>                             H
      <h4>I</h4>               1.2.4.1  I (importance level 4)
      <h2>J</h2>               1.3      J (importance level 2)
       <h2>K</h2>              1.4      K (importance level 2)
      <h3>L</h3>               1.4.1    L (importance level 3)
      <h2>M</h2>               1.5      M (importance level 2)
      <h4>N</h4>               1.5.1    N (importance level 4)
      <h3>O</h3>               1.5.2    O (importance level 3)
      <h1>P</h1>               2        P (importance level 1)
      <h1>Q</h1>               3        Q (importance level 1)
      <h2>R</h2>               3.1      R (importance level 2)

    This would be the outline:

Document

     +-- <unnamed section>

     +-- 1 A