[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Apr 7 10:59:19 PDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 09:58, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 2005, at 13:22, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> If OpenSP was non-conformant, then any current or future UA that is
>>> built with OpenSP as the parser would be non-conformant also, which
>>> should not be the case.
>> What OpenSP-based UAs are there besides validators?
>
> None that I know of yet, which is why I said current *or future* UAs.

Can we, please, focus on real use cases, then? If it wasn't for that
kind of SGML theorizing, perhaps HTML spec writers would never have
been bothered to even pretend SGML is really involved.

> There's no reason why a full conformance checker couldn't be based on
> OpenSP.

It would be prudent not to use OpenSP in order to avoid accidentally
allowing SGMLisms that are alien to real-world tag soup.

> Infact, it would probably be a good idea for them to do so, since then
> they'll also be real validators too, which is part of the conformance
> requirements.

I don't think SGML validation is part of What WG conformance
requirements. I thought Hixie has specifically said he doesn't bother
with DTDs.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi