[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Tue Apr 12 01:20:51 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Oops, yep. Added.

I could see the point with CODE versus PRE versus CODE as only child of
PRE as they have different kind of semantics.

But what is the reason for BLOCKQUOTE? Clearly, Q is for inline and you
don't really need BLOCKQUOTE for that. (If you want to quote a table
from some other source, perhaps, but then again, you could just alter
the Q element its content model.)

>> The problem is that you mix inline with block-level. Unless UL is
>> redefined to be inline level within P I don't think this is a good
>> idea. I like the idea of having either inline or block-level
>> content.
>
> The spec now has block-level, structured inline-level, and strictly
> inline-level concepts. I'm not overly fond of the names (better
> suggestions welcome), but I hope it addresses your concerns.

Mostly, except that they are underdefined at the moment. I assume that
section is still being worked on?

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>