[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Tue Apr 12 04:30:04 PDT 2005

Matthew Thomas wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>> I don't understand what's wrong with the XML error handling.  I think
>> it's great because errors should be caught and handled during the
>> authoring process and by the CMS, which XML essentially forces.
>
> <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/01/14/thought_experiment>

As I said above, "errors should be caught and handled during the
authoring process and by the CMS".  That is clearly just a case of the
CMS not doing it's job properly and a broken implementation doesn't mean
the language is broken.

The nature of XML requires that both the client and publishing tool
enforce well-formedness, not just one or the other.  If your CMS isn't
up to the job, then you shouldn't even attempt to maintain a well formed
document that accepts input from external sources.

I agree with Henri's comment about using ad hoc print statements, rather
than a true XML tool that guarentees well formed output.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/