[whatwg] text/html flavor conformance checkers and <foo />

Brad Neuberg bkn3 at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 25 12:58:08 PDT 2005

At 12:46 PM 4/25/2005, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>What should text/html flavor conformance checkers say about <foo />?
>
>Silently treat as <foo>> as per SGML?
>Silently treat as <foo> as per real world?
>Report a warning?
>Report an error?
>
>What about <foo/>?
>
>I am leaning towards reporting an error.

Unfortunately, <foo /> is the real world way of "hacking" XHTML support
into IE, since IE will belch if you give <foo/>.  You also have to serve it
up as text/html for IE.....  You should probably transform it into what
people expect it in the real world, which is turning <foo /> into <foo>.

Brad

Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.