[whatwg] Questions: IE 6 Compatibility, HTML 5, Spec Timeframe, and Implementation Timeframe

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 26 12:12:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Brad Neuberg wrote:

> > > Second, what is the relationship of HTML 5 to these two specs? Who
> > > is developing this standard?  At first glance it seems like a large
> > > dependency.
> >
> > HTML5 is the Web Apps spec. It isn't called that yet in the headings
> > for political reasons.
>
> That makes sense.  So, Web Forms 2.0 is a response to XForms, since
> XForms isn't realistic, and Web Applications is basicly a realistic HTML
> 5, which the W3C won't or can't provide in the terms the web needs
> today?

"No, we are working with the W3C and these drafts are merely proposals
that we fully intend to develop with the W3C in due course. XForms and
XHTML2 are good technologies and the WHATWG specifications are in no way
intended to compete with them."

> I agree; I like your approach.  Thanks for all the work and being
> responsive to people's concerns.  Thats not easy. :)

Heh, thanks. Please do continue to send comments on the spec, they are
very helpful. I reply to the comments as I get to the relevant parts of
the spec, so please don't worry if there is a long delay before you get a
reply, they are not being ignored...