[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 14 16:54:01 PST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Nate H. wrote:

> > First of all, my suggestion is that submenus always have an
> > associated <menulabel>.
>
> I realise you've made that assumption but I'm not sure that icon-only
> menus/toolbars would work that way.

The icon-only-ness of a menu is a presentational detail. Even the ribbons
in Office have titles for the various parts of the ribbon; they are used
when the ribbon is collapsed (and presumably used by accessibility tools
too, for that matter).

But yes, I agree that we need to address the ability to create buttons
that are icon-only in the default visual presentation. In the default
audio presentation, the icons are, of course, irrelevant.

My intent is to first work out what we want the markup to be, then once
we've got that sorted out, to work out how to style it (which might need
changes to CSS, but that's another matter).