[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Tue Feb 22 02:45:24 PST 2005

Roman Ivanov wrote:
> I think that web developers really need a standard on working with
> selection in textarea and input type=text fields.

Yes, that would be nice.
It has been discussed before:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-August/001996.html

I think the best way would be if the value attribute of an input field
could be treated as if it were text content of the element. Then the DOM
Range spec (perhaps with some extensions) would cover how selections are
treated.

Also, this would make editing input and textarea elements consistent
with contentEditable, where the contents of an element is made directly
editable.

Olav Junker Kjær