[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Jan 10 10:47:03 PST 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 19:33, Jim Ley wrote:

> but that's bad, it puts extra layers in the system if we don't need
> another transformation where information is lost we shouldn't have it,
> we're supposedly building something for the future here - email
> transformed to javascript, transformed to HTML, transformed to a
> particular CSS based rendering - introduces extra points of
> complication, and we lose semantics at each level.  This isn't a good
> idea!

It wouldn't make sense for browsers to support any and all possible
internal formats of the server-side apps. The obvious remedy in this
case is using a dedicated native email app that supports RFC 2822, MIME
and format=flowed directly.

However, a similar remedy does not work for all apps that are
implemented on a server with an HTML+JS+CSS-based UI displayed in a
browser, because unlike mail apps, company-specific *custom* apps don't
automatically come in multiplatform flavors if implemented as native
apps but still benefit from the multiplatformness offered by using a
browser as the UI shell.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi