[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:04:28 PST 2005

As interesting as this discussion has been (and it truly has), I think
it better to sum the aims of the WHAT-WG up in a single sentence so
that Mr. Ley may retire his crusade.

Essentially, from what I have gathered, Web Forms 2.0 aims to make the
development of *nicer* HTML forms *easier* for the average web
developer. That's it.

It is obvious and accepted that most or all of the things in Web Forms
2.0 can already be accomplished via scripted solutions, but the point
is to get rid of the multitude of kludge and to move to a richer
starting point. If authors have date controls, smart & smooth form
validation, etc. at their fingertips (as opposed to hundreds of lines
of complicated script), everyone in the world will benefit from a
nicer, prettier, more usable web.

Obviously things like XUL/XBL are much richer and would revolutionize
the web applications industry, but that is a train that the industry
can't run fast enough to catch yet. In the meantime, we aim to make
what he have better.

--
Brad Fults
NeatBox