[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jan 31 07:22:28 PST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Daniel Brooks wrote:

> 2.4.2: for controls with date and time types that don't have timzone
> information, would it be better if the zero point where 1970-01-01T00:00:00.0
> (the epoch in the local time zone)?

Hm, zero point was indeed poorly defined. Fixed.

> 6.2: why specify that image controls are treated as two controls with specific
> names if they're just going to be skipped? (step 4, paragraphs 3 and 4). The
> same thing is specified for form submission, because that's where it matters.

Because even though they are skipped, they still need to be counted, so
that the index values in the submission step match the index values in the
seeding step.

> 8.1: :indeterminate — what good is it? If it's defined in a different
> standard and you're clarifying how it interacts with this one, perhaps a note
> to that effect?

The first paragraph of that section already says that, no?

> 2.15: 'form script' => 'for scripts'

I couldn't find this error.

> 5.6: grammar? 'In the tables below, cells that specify that the case
> should be handled as another represent cases where the given attribute
> combinations are otherwise meaningless. In such cases, the encoded data
> set is created from the fallback encoding type, not the specified
> encoding type.' This just feels awkward. Had to read it several times to
> figure out what it means.

I tried to simplify it. Not sure really what to do though.

> 5.6.1: combine put and post columns as in previous table

Apparently you didn't figure out what the note you mentioned above meant. :-)

> 5.6.4: 'Thus the replace attribute is effectively ignored when enctype is a
> mailto URI.' should be '…when action is a mailto: URI.'

Oops. Fixed.

> 6.1: mentions type attribute on select element, but then states that all
> attributes on select element are ignored. Probably just needs to be reworded.

Fixed.

> 7.1: '…much like happens for the default action of change and input events.'
> should be '…much like what happens…'

Ok, although actually "much like happens" is correct too.

Thanks!