[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Mar 20 18:32:01 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I realise I may be a little late with this issue, since WF2 seems to be
> fairly stable, but never the less I would like to note my objection to
> the inclusion of the autocomplete attribute [1].

The "autocomplete" attribute is already implemented in user agents.
There's nothing we can do about it. I included it in the spec simply so
that it is at least defined somewhere, instead of being just something
people have to Know About without being documented anywhere.

> # Banks frequently do not want UAs to prefill login information:
>
> That may be so, but that still does not give a bank (or other
> organisation) the right to enforce such policies in my user agent.

The fact of the matter is, banks blackmail vendors into supporting this
feature. Not much WHATWG can do about this.