[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Mar 21 02:07:03 PST 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>>I realise I may be a little late with this issue, since WF2 seems to be
>>fairly stable, but never the less I would like to note my objection to
>>the inclusion of the autocomplete attribute [1].
>
> The "autocomplete" attribute is already implemented in user agents.
> There's nothing we can do about it. I included it in the spec simply so
> that it is at least defined somewhere, instead of being just something
> people have to Know About without being documented anywhere.

Then, please at least deprecate it.  If it's only being defined to help
with interopable implementations, that's fine, but it's use should be
discouraged as much as possible, therefore it should be deprecated.

> The fact of the matter is, banks blackmail vendors into supporting this
> feature. Not much WHATWG can do about this.

That's no reason to give in to their blackmail.  As well as being
depreacted, UAs should also be allowed to let the user to deactive this
feature easily, despite what the current draft says about that matter.
ie. Remove "... and the ability to disable support should not be
trivially accessible" from the spec

# The off value means that the UA must not remember that field's value.

That should also be changed from "must not" to "should not" to allow for
a user to override this decision.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/