[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Wed Mar 23 09:04:12 PST 2005

This issue seem to be sensitive, since it concerns the balance of power
between the user, the UA, the page author, the spec writer, and The Banks.

Since it already clear how UA's are going to implement this feature, the
issue is just to choose the most balanced language in the spec.

The Banks are probably not concerned with whether an UA is WF2 compliant
or not, they will choose to support an UA based on how the UI handles
the autocomplete attribute.
Therefore the spec has to *describe* and *allow* the currently
implemented behavior, but does not have to *mandate* it.

So the spec could describe the meaning of the autocomplete attribute and
then, without any "should" or "must"'s describe the UI behavior that The
Banks consider acceptable in a banking client. Then implementors are
free to choose whether to make their browser Bank-compliant or fully
user-empowering by default, independently from the decision to support WF2.

(BTW. I don't really understand why its user-hostile not to cache
sensitive info by default, it seems quite sensible to me. But I
understand that a spec shouldn't needlessly constrain UI.)

regards
Olav Junker Kjær