[whatwg] WF2 changes: uri->url, ERROR_* constants dropped; status update

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:23:07 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:32:28 +0000, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
> I like the repetition model but maybe it needs more work. But not much
> more. I feel we are very close to a simple yet useful mechanism. If we
> did separate it into a separate module then we would have time to tweak
> it...

My current view, which I've not had time to fully write up yet, is
that the repetition model proposed is effectively unimplementable in
IE in an efficient manner.

The requirement to iterate over every element in the document looking
for the attribute, and the requirement to iterate over every attribute
in every element in the template looking to perform the substitution
when inserting make it all very, very slow (the IE attributes
collection contains more than just the attributes defined, and setting
attributes like name are not actually well supported)

I think whilst it's a good generic solution, implementing it in script
for a specific solution gives such a large performance improvement
that the IE script emulation approach will be impractical.

I've yet to come up with any suggestions to improve this though.

Cheers,

Jim.