[whatwg] Repetition Model

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Wed Mar 23 12:53:54 PST 2005

Olav Junker Kjær wrote:
> Dean Edwards wrote:
>
>> Yes you would have to iterate over each element to attach the
>> repetition template interface. Olav Junker Kjær provided a solution to
>> this speed this up a little:
>

> It should be said that the expression-based solution improves the
> initial rendering, but slows the page considerably afterwards, since the
> CSS expressions are recalculated continuously. The expression rules
> could be removed after initial rendering to improve performance, but
> then it wont work if the repeat attribute is added to an element
> dynamically. So its not the perfect solution.

I've been working on perfecting this technique. There is a way to
disable it once each element has been checked.

It is still an acceptable compromise to require the author to attach
this behavior.

tr.repeat {
     behavior: url(...);
}

bearing in mind the complexity of the repetition model, the author
should be able to manage the CSS quite easily...

-dean