[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Mar 24 03:45:21 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> >    - Organisations excercising user-hostile behaviour to exclude a large
> >      portion of their users either give in to the pressure.
>
> It's not a large portion of their users. For most banking sites, I
> suspect the *only* browser which they cannot economically get away with
> blocking for security reasons is Internet Explorer for Windows, and that
> browser already supports autocomplete="off".
>
> That's why I say the only way to kill autocomplete="off" in the short term is
> to convince Microsoft to de-implement it.

That won't work either. If Microsoft don't implement it in their next
release, then banks won't work with that release of IE -- because that
release will have negligible market share at that point, and users won't
upgrade to it if it doesn't work with their sites. Shortly after,
Microsoft would release an update that "fixed" this problem.