[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 24 05:33:24 PST 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Matthew Thomas wrote:
> > That's why I say the only way to kill autocomplete="off" in the
 > > short term is to convince Microsoft to de-implement it.
>
> That won't work either. If Microsoft don't implement it in their next
> release, then banks won't work with that release of IE -- because that
 > release will have negligible market share at that point, and users
 > won't upgrade to it if it doesn't work with their sites. Shortly
 > after, Microsoft would release an update that "fixed" this problem.

If that were true, a plethora of ad-reliant sites would have started
using AntiAdBlocker, AntiAdBuster Pro, and similar programs to block
access to Internet Explorer 6 SP2 unless you had its popup blocker
turned off.

In reality, despite IE 6 SP2 being available only for Windows XP, the
power of Windows Update and IE's default settings is greater than the
power of sites saying "you can't use this browser version", and
AntiAdBlocker and AntiAdBuster Pro are both defunct.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/