[whatwg] A thought: <a href="..." method="post">

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Fri May 13 13:28:56 PDT 2005

James Graham wrote:
> That seems to be based on the belief that all things which look like
> links must correspond to idempotent actions. I don't think this is true
> and, in general, think that trying to couple the user interface to the
> underlying protocol is a bad idea.

No, its a great idea! ;-)

Most users dont know anything about POST or GET, but I believe its a
common expectation that you can always safely click links (and then
press back to return), while you should think twice about pressing a
form button, since it might indicate that you agree to something or
wants to buy something or subscribe to a mailinglist or whatever.

I think this coupling between protocol and UI is one of the great ideas
of the web.

So a link which performs a unsafe action is not just wrong according to
HTTP, its also bad UI.

regards
Olav Junker Kjær