[whatwg] Re: About XHTML 2.0

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at tu-clausthal.de
Sun May 22 15:59:16 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson schrieb:

> I read a lot of fiction books and when I come across a "* * *" it reads to
> me like a paragraph, saying "Meanwhile, in a different part of the
> universe:"; it doesn't read as "end section. new section:".

   <section>
     <!-- 'plot', 'note', 'loc', 'place', 'time', 'story' ... -->
     <!-- former place of 'hr' in disguise -->
     <!-- former place of 'hr' in disguise -->
   </section>

Works have either just one plot or more which are either parallel (like
the example above) or nested (where the top-most doesn't need to be
stuffed into a 'div'). Correct mark-up (in inadequate presentation)
could destroy the reader's pleasure, though, when the author wants to
keep the recipient in the dark about what point of view a certain part
really belongs to.

> To put it another way, sections are things that you can put a title to.

'div' is the proper HTML element type for subdivisions (of sections)
that actually are not sections. (IMO sections always have a heading,
'h'.) It, optionally, can be categorized with the 'class' attribute and
be identified by an 'id' attribute.

> There's no title you can put to a group of paragraphs separated from other
> groups of paragraphs in the same chapter of a work of fiction, in my
> experience.

Anyhow you can still group paragraphs by wrapping them in a division
instead of dividing them by a separator. The latter is IMO not a very
markupish approach. MLs are usually about putting (informational) atoms
into bags and these into larger ones, iterated until you reach the top
one, the root.