[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

S. Mike Dierken mike at dierken.com
Fri Oct 21 23:50:44 PDT 2005

> Bearing the above in mind, I've added a section to the <a>
> element that describes a ping="" attribute. The URIs given in
> this attribute would be followed when the user clicks the
> link, thus getting around the problems listed above.

Since this is effectively capturing where the user's attention is being
spent (the click event I mean), should you also define the other set of
events of interest as well?
on-hover-notify="myattention.org/dierken"
on-copy-notify="myattention.org/dierken">Wicked Cool Stuff Here</a>

What is the request method for these notifications (the wording "the URIs
would be followed" imply retrieval)?
If POST, what is the content body?
If GET, what is the URI (generated from the href via a pattern, or static
from the downloaded html)?
Should the Referer request header also be sent (except for documents
retrieved via secure protocols)?
Should the notification event occur before, during or after the retrieval of
the href="..." resource?
Should the notification event occur for only succesful retrievals? Or should
the notification contain the response status of incomplete retrievals of the
href="..." resource?
Should the notification URIs be restricted to the same host/domain as a) the
source document b) the href="..." resource or c) unlimited?