[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Oct 26 11:40:47 PDT 2005

#3 -- combine #1 with script, so the user isn't aware of it.

> Conceptually (at least from my point-of-view) POST'ing is suppose to
> require a user's approval.  (XmlHttpRequest kind of gets around that
> requirement, but you are NOT allowed cross-domain access via
> XmlHttpRequest, so it is actually not a problem.)  Developers should
> feel safe in the assumption that mutable operations on their site will
> not happen without the user knowing about it (due to their browser
> telling them).

That might be a good ideal, but in practice it is not the case.

Also, bear in mind that the POST done from a ping="" is content-free.
There are no POST arguments or anything, so you can't send arbitrary data
to have something happen (unless the server side has a bug and treats the
GET arguments as POST arguments, I guess).

> To get around this whole issue we could just use a totally new HTTP
> method (other than "GET" or "POST").  Maybe "PING".

I think we'll draw the line at extending HTTP. We're in hot enough water
extending HTML and the DOM...