[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

Mike Dierken mdierken at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:47:56 PDT 2005

> > Bearing the above in mind, I've added a section to the <a> element
> > that describes a ping="" attribute. The URIs given in this attribute
> > would be followed when the user clicks the link, thus getting around
> > the problems listed above.
>
> Since this is effectively capturing where the user's
> attention is being spent (the click event I mean), should you
> also define the other set of events of interest as well?
> on-hover-notify="myattention.org/dierken"
> on-copy-notify="myattention.org/dierken">Wicked Cool Stuff Here</a>

How about not putting this notification URI in the anchors at all - what
about putting some metadata in the <head> element that indicates that /all/
links clicked should send a notification to the indicated service?

<head>
 <link href="http://myattention.org/dierken" rev="attention-tracker" />
</head>