[whatwg] image captions

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Fri Apr 7 08:09:33 PDT 2006

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:59:15 +0700, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

>> As a user, I wouldn't want Opera to include image captions when
>> navigating headers. I don't feel that the caption is a header -- it's
>> no more of a header than a table caption is.

> You have a point. Obviously in an outline a figure isn't the same as
> aside content. So maybe we could add a <figure> element which would work
> the same as <aside> but with a specific purpose of illustrating what is
> said. That way outliners could make a separate list of figures using the
> figure headers. And, as I suggested for <aside> previouly, you could
> make each header which is not part of the main content a <h> element
> which will be ignored by legacy user-agents.

Actually, I tend to treat images and tables the same. Tables have
<caption>s, and a user agent can make a list of tables for navigation. Why
can't an image have a caption? I think images and tables are quite similar.

And I don't think that "heading" is the appropriate semantic entity for
marking up captions. Rather than making them headers and at the same time
taking measures so that they don't interfere with UA's outlining
facilities, I'd rather say that headings should be left entirely for
document outline, and captions are marked up explicitly as captions.

I'm replying to the mailing list, assuming that you have replied off-list
by accident. There was nothing really private in your message, and I think
the discussion hasn't went off-topic.

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>