[whatwg] input type="country"?

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Thu Aug 24 10:00:15 PDT 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:44:26 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg
<tekelenb at euronet.nl> wrote:

> I agree with all the arguments against speccing this, but also this
> smells
> much more like a browser feature to me. I think a much more realistic
> approach would be for browser vendors to offer a setting to try to by
> default
> select the user's country when they encounter such a list in a page's
> form.

Agreed.

> A good implementation would
> - know how to handle different spellings/synonyms (like US/USA,
> UK/England,
> Holland/The Netherlands/Nederland, etc.)
> - make proper use of the OS' language/location settings, if available,
> for
> its initial setting, but allow the user to override that (because, for
> example, many run their OS in american english even though their
> location or
> nationality may be something else.)
>
> Some people will probably argue that users won't bother to define their
> settings for this, but IMO that only means that the user apparently
> doesn't care then.

Right. Or is like me and selects too many countries for too many different
things to have a sensible default.

> I imagine the quickest way to get an implementation would be in the form
> of a Firefox plug-in.

Actually, it should be possible as a user javascript, for anyone who can
write javascript right.

find select where option="$Locale"
remove selected from option selected in that select.
Set option="$locale" selected.

or something like that.

Hi Sander, BTW.

cheers