Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Wed Aug 30 01:31:09 PDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 05:51:39 +0200, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:
> The meaning of your markup is that you inserted and deleted some text
> within each list item, not that you added or deleted a list item like in
> mine. Semantically there is a difference, subtle maybe but still there.

That depends on the definition.

> Also, while your markup gives the same visual rendering while using the
> default browser stylesheet (which underlines <ins> and overstrikes
> <del>), the result will be completely different if you want to hide the
> inserted or deleted parts. Using this CSS rule:
>
>      del { display: none }
>
> you'll see a one-item list for my markup, while for your markup you'll
> see a second, empty list item.

That could be seen as a limitation of the styling language. It has been
repeated many times on this list that styling should not be taken into
account when "designing" markup.

(As for my myself, I only partially agree with that sentiment.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>