[whatwg] Scoped tabindex proposal

Simon Pieters zcorpan at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:25:45 PDT 2006

Hi,

From: "Mihai Sucan" <mihai.sucan at gmail.com>
>I don't think we want another attribute. I tend to like the idea of having
>tabindex="-2". IIRC -1 is already "reserved" for skipping the control when
>navigating (maybe only in some proposals?).

All negative values are for taking the element out of tab order. But why
can't all values mean that the element is a scoping element? Perhaps someone
wants the scoping element to be in the tab order aswell (can't think of a
particular use-case off the top of my head though):

>I can agree with tabindex="scoped" - it's good enough too.

But how do you deal with the .tabIndex DOM attribute? It can't be long and
DOMString at the same time. Changing it to DOMString might break some sites.
Currently, if you for instance do:

   document.body.tabIndex = "scoped";

...then it results in:

Regards,