[whatwg] markup as authored in practice

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Dec 3 04:25:34 PST 2006

> I hope you are not advocating that we shouldn't have considerations for
> hand-editing, and I don't see the need for hand editing ever changing.

I hand edit a lot myself, though less than I used to. People who hand
edit can handle some simple well-formedness rules.

> Even if people don't hand edit entire pages they will hand edit fragments of
> pages such as on wikis and forums and blogs and cms.

Actually, no they don't. Almost every major CMS/Blog/Wiki uses a non
angle bracket input format. They're a few CMSs out there that use angle
brackets, but they're a distinct minority and losing market share. I
actually wrote some blog software once that used angle brackets, and
have since thrown it away in favor of WordPress.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!