[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:22:39 PST 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>> Secondly, anyone who actually tried to use an SGML parser to handle HTML
>> rapidly hit a wall since most HTML documents were not even close to
>> actually conformant to the SGML spec or the HTML DTD.
>
> Exactly. And the *exact same situation* exists today with XML.
>
> Anyone who actually ties to use an XML parser to handle HTML rapidly hits
> a wall, since most HTML documents are not even close to actually
> conformant to the HTML or XML specs. Even if we were to require that HTML5
> documents use exactly XML syntax, this would still be the case.

Well, no. I do use XML parsers to process HTML documents on a regular
basis. I don't do it for all documents, but I profitably do it for quite
a few. As long as it's possible to make the documents well-formed, it's
possible to parse them with an XML parser because they are XML.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!