[whatwg] Content Model Restrictions on table>tr in HTML

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Dec 4 19:54:29 PST 2006

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> I may be able to make additional suggestions once someone showed me
> an example of HTML syntax where a 'p' element has a 'pre' child
> element.

The pre element is allowed to occur where structured inline-level
elements are allowed.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-pre

The p element is allowed to contain significant inline-level content.
Inline-level content includes structured inline-level elements.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-p

Therefore a p element can contain a pre element in XHTML.

   <pre>
     This is some preformatted
     text inside a paragraph.
   </pre>
in XHTML only.</p>

That cannot occur in the HTML serialisation because <pre> must imply

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/