[whatwg] Content Model Restrictions on table>tr in HTML

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 6 11:27:08 PST 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> So my authoring tool takes a conforming document, parses that into a
> Document, the user adds a proper table with only tr/td elements, and
> requests to save the document as HTML. My authoring tool then writes
> Document.innerHTML into the file. Which conformance requirement does my
> authoring tool definitely violate exactly?

Implementation strategies don't affect conformance. So, the actual
behaviour here is that an authoring tool takes a conforming document,
parses that into a Document; the user adds a proper table with only tr/td
elements, and requests to save the document as HTML; the authoring tool
then writes that document to a file.

No conformance criteria are broken if the user agent is assumed to have
"converted" the document to a serialisable form by adding an appropriate
<tbody> element and then serialised that.

If the user agent has not, e.g. it shows a tree of what it thinks it
serialised, and that tree doesn't have a <tbody> between the <table> and
the <tr>, then the browser has violated "A table element must not contain
tr elements", under "9.1.2.5. Restrictions on content models".