[whatwg] Content Model Restrictions on table>tr in HTML

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Dec 6 09:50:18 PST 2006

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>No, he doesn't. The spec explicitly says of the 9.1 section that "it does
>not apply to conformance checkers; conformance checkers must use the
>requirements given in the next section ("parsing HTML documents")". (Just
>added; the spec said something equivalent before but it wasn't as clear.)

Proof by introducing new axioms...

>That would be precise, but useless to all. This would require a very
>painful exercise of trying to reverse-engineer the parser section to
>determine what is allowed and what is not.

  Well-written specifications will often include statements of fact
  that are effectively repeating or summarising definitions or
  conformance statements found elsewhere in the specification, making
  it easier to understand the specification.

>> There are no authoring tool requirements in that section and I do not
>> see how the tool would be non-conforming.
>
>1.3: "Authoring tools and markup generators must generate conforming
>documents."
>
>9.1: "Documents must consist of the following parts, in the given order:"
>
>I believe you are incorrect.

>Correct, but an implementor can use this requirement to establish whether
>or not they are conforming to the spec, because if they _try_ to place a
><dl> element inside a <p>, the syntax section tells them they can't. This
>is much more explicit than having to reverse-engineer the parsing section.

>You can test it by looking at the DOM you are attempting to serialise. It
>isn't something you can determine from the document itself, but you can
>determine it through white box testing.

So my authoring tool takes a conforming document, parses that into a
Document, the user adds a proper table with only tr/td elements, and
requests to save the document as HTML. My authoring tool then writes
Document.innerHTML into the file. Which conformance requirement does
my authoring tool definitely violate exactly?