[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Dec 7 00:33:59 PST 2006

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:42:06 +0600, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>>> I mean that the feed might contain items that were never part of the page
>>> linking to the feed. For example, this page:
>>>
>>>    <!DOCTYPE HTML>
>>>    <title>Feeds for this site</title>
>>>    <link rel=feed href=status.xml>
>>>    <link rel=feed href=news.xml>
>>>    <link rel=feed href=links.xml>
>>>
>>> There are no items on that page, but it links to three feeds that the site
>>> provides.

>> In your example, what's the relation between status.xml and this page?

> status.xml is just a resource that provides a syndication feed. It is not
> necessarily associated with a particular Web page.

If there is no particular relation, then it should not be <link>. The <link> element is for resources which are in specific typical relations to the current document.

I would mark it up like this:

<h1>Feeds for this site</h1>
<ul>
</ul>

Note the absence of rel attribute on the <a>: there is no specific typical relation between the current document and the referenced resources.