[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 11:00:52 PST 2006

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

>>> In your example, what's the relation between status.xml and this page?
>
>> status.xml is just a resource that provides a syndication feed. It is not
>> necessarily associated with a particular Web page.
>
> If there is no particular relation, then it should not be <link>. The <link> element is for resources which are in specific typical relations to the current document.
>
> I would mark it up like this:
>
> <h1>Feeds for this site</h1>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> Note the absence of rel attribute on the <a>: there is no specific typical relation between the current document and the referenced resources.

This makes a lot more sense to me. When that orange button lights on up
on my browser's toolbar, I tend to think of it as "subscribe to this
page", not "subscribe to some random thing that happens to be on this
site somewhere and may or may not have anything to do with this page."

rel="feed" the way Ian has defined it sounds more like type="feed" to
me. (ignoring of course the fact that the type attribute actually takes
a MIME type.)

I think it's much more likely in the above scenario that those links in
Alexey's example would be links to HTML documents containing the items
from the feed, and *on there* would be the feed auto-discovery stuff.
That's how I'd author it, anyway. (and also, by extension, how I'd
expect other sites to author it.)