[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 11:11:45 PST 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Then the browser wouldn't take these links and make them available in a
> "list of feeds" interface, which is the problem we are trying to solve.

Why is it useful for a browser to make a list of a bunch of random feeds
that have no relation to one another or to the current page?

A list of feeds *for the current page* I can see a use for (that little
orange RSS icon on my browser's toolbar), but for links to other "feeds"
a list inside the page itself is perfectly adequate, especially if that
link actually links to an HTML document that *itself* declares a the
feed as a <LINK>.

Currently the orange RSS icon means "Subscribe to this page". This is a
lot more useful (in my opinion) than it meaning "subscribe to some
random thing".