[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Dec 8 14:01:14 PST 2006

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Martin Atkins wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > Then the browser wouldn't take these links and make them available in a
> > "list of feeds" interface, which is the problem we are trying to solve.
>
> Why is it useful for a browser to make a list of a bunch of random feeds
> that have no relation to one another or to the current page?

Well they sort of have a relation -- they're feeds that the author thinks
the user would find useful. This is something that happens already in the
real world -- I'm just trying to make the spec distinguish "alternate"
from "feed" when it comes to such feeds.

> Currently the orange RSS icon means "Subscribe to this page". This is a
> lot more useful (in my opinion) than it meaning "subscribe to some
> random thing".

No, it doesn't. It means "subscribe to something the author made
available". Currently you have no way to know if it is the current page's
feed or just a list of random related feeds.