[whatwg] <reset> element?

Paul Arzul paul.arzul at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 05:27:08 PST 2006

hi,

(another) common problematic example is google cache. style can overreach
and create a mishmash of unreadable overlapping text and images. for an
example, see the top of the page on wikipedia's entry for whatwg:

<http://209.85.129.104/custom?q=cache:0s8ftW8HviQJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Hypertext_Application_Technology_Working_Group>

something that can help is if each party using style limits it's reach by
css signature (eg. <body id="www-whatwg-org"> and then add the id selector
prefix #www-whatwg-org to each style rule). mixed html shares the same
canvas, so this won't help when absolute positioning interferes with
layout-- as is the case with the google cache example.

do browsers make it easy enough to disable style that we can ignore this?
anyone mixing html seems to run into this problem-- i've seen it in
bookmarklets and greasemonkey scripts too.

advertisers seem to use <iframe>-- although minor tweaking is required:
opera inherits the base document's background-color, mozilla doesn't. i
couldn't find the correct behaviour defined-- any pointers?

if this is not out of scope, perhaps we can help vendor clarity by
mentioning which elements (eg. <iframe> and <object>) should typically
"reset" style?

- p