[whatwg] <div> as a wrapper for inline content

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sat Dec 30 04:12:59 PST 2006

I suspect requiring the content model of <div> to be block only might
be an annoyance as far as a smooth upgrade path goes. Extremely
superficial anecdotal evidence suggests that even making the content
model bimorphic makes some Strict blogs not conform to an (X)HTML5
draft grammar.

It seems to me that <div> is often used as an adapter that allows DTD-
valid Strict pages to put inline stuff where the DTD wants block. I
can see why this might be unpleasant or inelegant, but do we really
want to annoy the potential early adopters who are now using such
tricks to make their pages valid as Strict? (The easy way to weasel
out is, of course, to state that a <div> that only has inline content
constitutes a paragraph. And, behold, paragraphs with struct-inline
children become possible in text/html as a side effect. :-)

(I don't have a proper opinion here, at least not yet, but requiring
block content makes my a bit uneasy considering practice even though
I agree in principle.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi