[whatwg] [wf2] changing the size DOM attribute of <select>

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:03:30 PST 2006

On 2/11/06, Anne van Kesteren <fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
> Quoting Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com>:
> > D you mean the bug in Opera 9 that means changing the size of the
> > select selects an entry?  Surely that's just a bug in Opera 9 preview
> > (but not 8.5), changing the size should have no effect on what's
> > selected.
>
> I agree (with the part after the comma of the last sentence). Given that per
> <http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#select-check-default> the
> option should be selected, it should remain selected when changing some factor
> that has nothing to do with that.

but in your test case, they are not selected, and then become selected
in Opera 9.0 when you give them an invalid attribute - was Opera 9.0
not the behaviour you were looking to standardise too?  (I assumed
that as the Opera 8.5 behaviour was absurd with -1 making it about 40
high)

For me ignoring the invalid DOM change makes more sense that the
inconsistent proposals you're advocating.  The cited part of the spec
linked to above certainly does not say what should happen when a DOM
changes to a single select in any case, it is still undefined even in
the size=1 case.

Cheers,

Jim.