[whatwg] Empty elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Feb 15 16:41:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, David Hyatt wrote:

> BTW, not sure if you have this in the WhatWG parsing spec, but a stray
> open <p>.

It's listed as something that we might want to consider if we spec quirks
mode. I'm considering just doing it always, but Mozilla doesn't do it in
Standards mode. IE does it for a whole bunch more elements than just </p>
and </br>, but I haven't quite worked out the algorithm IE uses to decide
when it should do it and when it shouldn't. Mozilla just does it for </p>
and </br> in quirks mode. Safari just does it for </p>, but in all modes.

> Also, <script src="..."/> is actually supported even in HTML by Firefox
> and Safari.

Safari maybe. Not Firefox:

   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C%21DOCTYPE%20html%3E%3Cscript%20src%3D%22y%22/%3Ex%3C/script%3E

This is a compatibility problem for Safari, because it makes Safari
incompatible with IE, Mozilla, and Opera.

> We're stuck with it forever as well, since most of the Dashboard widgets
> use <script src="..."/> in HTML. You can say we're wrong in the spec,
> but we won't be able to change it. :(

That, I'm afraid, is your problem. You may wish to consider having a
dashboard mode. <canvas>x</canvas> is also parsed differently in Safari
than in Mozilla and Opera; again, you may need a Dashboard parse mode if
you ever want to switch to the HTML5 way of parsing <canvas>. (Existing
Web content has started relying on the HTML5 way.)