[whatwg] Empty elements

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Feb 26 14:16:39 PST 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> We're stuck with it forever as well, since most of the Dashboard
>> widgets
>> use <script src="..."/> in HTML. You can say we're wrong in the spec,
>> but we won't be able to change it. :(

I think we need a dashboard mode, given that this is incompatible
with all other browsers. I wonder if Mozilla changed it or if we were
just confused about what it was doing. We can leave the dashboard
mode just for HTML4 and ignore it for HTML5 doctype. In fact, all the
widgets I found declare no doctype so dashboard mode can apply to
quirks mode only.

> That, I'm afraid, is your problem. You may wish to consider having a
> dashboard mode. <canvas>x</canvas> is also parsed differently in
> Safari
> than in Mozilla and Opera; again, you may need a Dashboard parse
> mode if
> you ever want to switch to the HTML5 way of parsing <canvas>.
> (Existing
> Web content has started relying on the HTML5 way.)

Requiring a close tag is technically better (for compatibility with
browsers that don't support <canvas>). But it is somewhat frustrating
to have to adapt to someone else's incompatible attempt to copy our
feature.

In any case we may as well start getting the system and example
widgets changed, since in both cases the compatible syntax <script
file some bugs.

Regards,
Maciej