[whatwg] Should ID be required for <DFN>?

Simon Pieters zcorpan at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 14 03:48:56 PST 2006

Hi,

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>
>>That would require making an ID for the element. How would users and
>>developers access definitions without an ID?
>
>Link to the nearest anchor in the relevant section of the page or, at the
>very least, just to the page itself.  It's not an ideal solution, but
>there's not much else that can be done.

I believe that the XPointer string-range function could be used:

   <a
href="otherpage.html#xpointer(string-range(//dfn/abbr,"DHD")[1])">DHD</a>

I'm not sure that the syntax is correct, but in any case, this issue is
covered by XPointer.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/#stringrange

Regards,
Simon Pieters