[whatwg] The <link> element and "display: meta"

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sun Jan 22 04:20:07 PST 2006

Quoting Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>:
> No it doesn't.  Neither of them make any sense at all.  If I've
> understood this thread well enough, the whole concept behind it means
> to take this element out of the normal flow and do some magic to
> display it somewhere appropriate in the chrome of the browser.  e.g.
> in a menu for <link>, the title bar for <title>, the status bar (or
> wherever) for something else.  Who knows what on earth would happen
> with this applied to an HTML document?
>
>   * { display: meta; }
>
> CSS is the wrong layer to handle this.  AIUI, I believe the binding
> layer (XBL) is the correct layer for it.

I agree that CSS is the wrong layer. XBL doesn't really solve this
though as it
doesn't affect the semantics of the document. It merely adds some kind of
"pseudo-dom" to the node it is bound to (that doesn't affect the semantics of
that node nor of the document the node is in).

However, I'm still not sure what problem is being solved here.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>