[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Wed Jan 25 18:34:38 PST 2006

Billy Wong wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On Jan 25, 2006, at 17:17, Billy Wong wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry.  I don't notice that this is invaild.  I am new here.  What
>>> makes inline-level element not feasible to contain block-level
>>> elements??
>> The HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD. Gecko and WebCore try to force the
>> document tree to be a sane Transitional document tree.
>>
> But I am still not clever enough to grasp it.  For
> it from being a sane document tree, so that it has to be defined
> invalid in HTML 4.01?

Nothing is preventing that from being a well-formed tree, it's just
invalid in HTML 4.01 because of the way the conforming content models
have been defined for inline elements.  Semantically, it makes no sense
at all to put a block level element within an inline element.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/