[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Wed Jan 25 18:37:51 PST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:34:38 +0600, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:

>> But I am still not clever enough to grasp it.  For
>> it from being a sane document tree, so that it has to be defined
>> invalid in HTML 4.01?

> Nothing is preventing that from being a well-formed tree, it's just
> invalid in HTML 4.01 because of the way the conforming content models
> have been defined for inline elements.  Semantically, it makes no sense
> at all to put a block level element within an inline element.

Because CSS lets you redefine what's inline and what's block by means of
the display property, there sometimes is sense in having block elements
inside inline.

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>