[whatwg] [WA1] Missing step in formatting element algorithm

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 21 18:17:01 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Stewart Brodie wrote:

> The algorithm attempts to insert nodes that already have a parent node into
> another node.

Hm. Yes, indeed, it was wrong.

I've removed the attempt at handling the case where an author moves the
nodes around while the parser is attempting to parse them. Now, in such
cases, the nodes will just reappear in the DOM. Since IE refuses to even
parse such pages, I figure that's good enough.

Anyway, I've tried to fix the spec. Let me know if you don't think I fixed
it enough.

> Also, what is "nearest block" for?  It's not used anywhere.  It looks like
> it could be a remnant of an earlier version of the algorithm that didn't
> have a step 14 that looped the whole algorithm, perhaps?

Yeah, exactly. Fixed.

Good catches. Thanks!